EndurElite Chief Endurance Officer Matt Mosman discusses what muscle protein synthesis is, how it works to repair and rebuild muscle, and how to optimize it.
Muscle Protein Synthesis Fast Facts
Ever heard the term muscle protein synthesis (MPS) and wondered what the heck it means?
- MPS is the process of repairing and rebuilding muscle tissue as a result of exercise-induced microtraumas or others stresses placed on the body such as a muscle injury.
- MPS is stimulated by exercise and protein ingestion and may last as long as 48 hours before complete repair of the damaged tissue occurs.
- During MPS, satellite cells are activated and fuse to the damaged muscle fibers where they facilitate the repair process.
- However, for muscle repair to occur, the rate of MPS must be greater than the rate of muscle protein breakdown (MPB).
- This is why it is important to consume adequate amounts of protein on a daily basis as it provides the body with enough amino acids to optimize MPS and minimize MPB.